RE: [HACKERS] Win32 pЭort of libpq

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Win32 pЭort of libpq
Date: 1999-09-30 16:09:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> On 30-Sep-99 Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> >> You need not to take care wether WSAStartup is alredy called or not.
> >> Windows handle it automatically.
> >
> > By calling it yourself you have more control over which minimum version
> > will be loaded.
>
> Yes, but you can just call
>
> WSADATA wsaData;
> if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &wsaData)) {
> sprintf(conn->errorMessage,
> "WSAStartup failed: errno=%d\n", h_errno);
> goto connect_errReturn;
> }
>

> without WeHaveCalledWSAStartup at all.

Accroding to the 1.1 spec, you must call WSACleanup() for EVERY WSAStartup
call made. So if you call WSAStartup() three times, you must call
WSACleanup() three times - the first two only decrement the internal
counter, the last one does the cleanup. This may have changed in versions
of Winsock after 1.1 and my spec is a bit old (20 Jan 1993).

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> Have you seen http://www.pop4.net?
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com