RE: [HACKERS] Win32 pЭort of libpq

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Win32 pЭort of libpq
Date: 1999-09-30 12:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Dmitry Samersoff wrote:

> On 30-Sep-99 Edmund Mergl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > in the last few days I compiled libpq on Windows NT
> > using MS Visual Studio 6.0. I followed the instructions
> > given by Bob Kline <bkline(at)rksystems(dot)com> in his mail from
> > Fri, 3 Sep 1999.
> > Unfortuanetely he sent his mail only to dbi-users, so I would
> > like to repeat one major problem on this list.
> >
> > Here is an excerpt from his mail:
> >
> > 4. The DllMain function in src/interfaces/libpq/libpqdll.c of the
> > PostgreSQL 6.5 sources, in which WSAStartup is invoked, is never called,
> > which causes gethostbyname calls to fail. Solution (more properly,
> > "kludge" -- I know there's a cleaner fix somewhere, but this works for
> > now): immediately after the local declarations for the connectDB function
> > in src/interfaces/libpq/fe-connect.c:
> >
> >#ifdef WIN32
> > static int WeHaveCalledWSAStartup;
> >
> > if (!WeHaveCalledWSAStartup) {
> > WSADATA wsaData;
> > if (WSAStartup(MAKEWORD(1, 1), &wsaData)) {
> > sprintf(conn->errorMessage,
> > "WSAStartup failed: errno=%d\n", h_errno);
> > goto connect_errReturn;
> > }
> > WeHaveCalledWSAStartup = 1;
> > }
> >#endif
>
> You need not to take care wether WSAStartup is alredy called or not.
> Windows handle it automatically.

By calling it yourself you have more control over which minimum version
will be loaded.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com flame-mail: /dev/null
# include <std/disclaimers.h> Have you seen http://www.pop4.net?
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com