Re: [HACKERS] Bug tracking system policy

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug tracking system policy
Date: 1999-07-28 02:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Just a thought, but we know *what* we want...why not build our own? Or,
is there something else out there that would better serve what we need?

Personally, my playing with Keystone leaves much to be desired, and the
mailing list for it, quite frankly, is totally unresponsive. (ie. no
questions asked have turned up an answer)...if someone has something
better they would like to suggest, I have no problems setting it up and
running through it.

If someone thinks they have the time, energy and desire to work on one
from scratch, tailoring it to our requirements, let me know that
also...I'll provide you with an account and the resources...

The idea is to come up with something clean, easy to use and fully
functional...something that ppl *will* use. I don't think Keystone is
that, but I haven't seen anything closer/better to what we require...

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> > (btw, I've taken this on-list per Tom Lane's suggestion; the
> > short summary is that the new bug tracking system is getting non-bug
> > bug reports and it is short-circuiting the highly successful mailing
> > list support process.)
>
> Just to give everyone else some context (and try to get a more useful
> title on the thread ;-)), this discussion concerns the Keystone bug
> tracking system that was recently installed on www.postgresql.org;
> see http://www.PostgreSQL.ORG/bugs/nbrowse.php3. There is some
> sketchy documentation about Keystone at
> http://www.stonekeep.com/ksonline/docs/docindex.html.
>
> Now that we've got the thing, we need to figure out an effective process
> for using it. The limited experience so far doesn't seem particularly
> productive. Here are some comments that I sent to the core group
> earlier today.
>

> Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
> > We've got a *great* network of folks on the mailing lists who help
> > everyone with questions. That should be the first (and second, and
> > third) line of defense for anyone with a question or a possible bug
> > report, and imho we shouldn't have *anything* in the bug tracking
> > system which has not gone through that process first.
>
> > How do we accomplish this without having a completely closed bug
> > reporting system (which for me is one of the options; Bruce could use
> > this for his bug-related ToDo's...).
>
> Hmm, so you are thinking it should be a *tracking* system for
> acknowledged bugs, but not an initial reporting system, and we'd
> continue to rely on the mail lists for initial reporting.
>
> That might not be a bad idea. I've already noticed that people
> are failing to provide full bug reports (version, platform, etc)
> because the Keystone system doesn't give them a template to fill out.
> Seems like we were getting more complete reports via the email process.
>
> > Should we consider having a more limited number of folks with access
> > to the bug tracking system? Perhaps this could be a perk for long-time
> > contributors who go out of their way to help answer questions??
>
> We want read-only access for everyone, I think, but limiting the number
> of people who can enter and update slips might be good.
>
> My reasons for pushing a BTS in the first place were that it would
> provide better *visibility* : has a bug been fixed, who is working
> on it, what is known about it, etc. Basically I was thinking of a
> TODO list with more detail per item than a one-line summary. (Also
> it should keep records of closed-out problems, so people could find
> out what version fixes a problem.)
>
> Cluttering the BTS database with random reports doesn't aid visibility
> of the important ones. We want to allow read-only access so that status
> is visible to everyone, but that doesn't mean we have to allow everyone
> to alter the database.

> [...]

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org