Re: [HACKERS] RE: [INTERFACES] Re: SSL patch

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] RE: [INTERFACES] Re: SSL patch
Date: 1999-07-24 17:06:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Tom Lane wrote:

> Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:

> > Just to clearify: the SSL-enabled server still accepts 6.6 clients that are
> > compiled without SSL support, but it will not accept from 6.5 clients, as it
> > is now.
>
> Right. My feeling is that we must make it possible for a 6.6 server to
> accept connections from 6.5 (and earlier) clients, or the upgrade will
> be too painful at large sites.

But, we've had protocol changes before that breaks backward
compatibility...why is this all of a sudden a problem? As long as this is
a "known" issue for an upgrade (something for the 'migrating to...'
section of the HISTORY file), I personally see no reason why the protocol
can't mature/change...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org