Re: [HACKERS] User requests now that 6.5 is out

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Fred Wilson Horch <fhorch(at)ecoaccess(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] User requests now that 6.5 is out
Date: 1999-06-29 18:28:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Fred Wilson Horch wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Not sure if this is the right place to request this, but here are some
> things I, as a satisfied user of PostgreSQL, would like to see done (and
> I'd be glad to help where I can). All of these are just suggestions
> geared to the care and feeding of the PostgreSQL user community.
>
> 1. Update the comparison chart at
> http://www.postgresql.org/comp-comparison.html. This is important for
> those of us who must justify our choice of PostgreSQL to clients,
> supervisors or funding agencies. Suggestion: add Informix and MySQL and
> drop BeagleSQL and MiniSQL.

MySQL is *not* an RDBMS...our comparision chart compares RDBMSs...

> 2. Post a schedule for future releases. This is important for those of
> us who want to know when -- if ever -- we can start to consider
> PostgreSQL as a solution for projects that require features that are not
> yet part of PostgreSQL (e.g. replication), and when we should think
> about upgrading our PostgreSQL installations. It is also crucial to let
> prospective users know that Postgres is under active development. I
> know there is a todo list somewhere but I think the schedule needs to be
> more prominent on the web site.

'scheduales' are *generally* accepted as being 3 months of development
plus 1 of testing, so a 4 month release scheduale. More realistically,
its slightly longer, with this one being the most "out of sync" yet, but
alot of good came out of that, IMHO...

> > 3. Fix the PostgreSQL user gallery (linked from
> http://www.postgresql.org/helpus.html).

Working on it...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org