Re: [DOCS] Logo issue ...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Logo issue ...
Date: 1999-04-24 01:33:45
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On 23-Apr-99 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > Then, Daniel took and made a 'cartoon-like' logo of an elephant
> > > that he pointed me to, and, altho its not as crisp as Jan's concept, it
> > > had more the FreeBSD(daemon)/Linux(penguin) look to it...
> >
> > I looked at Daniel's elephant too, but to me it's missing something. The
> > strong, steady, etc., just isn't there. Grab your FreeBSD CDs from 2.2.8
> > and 3.1. The picture of Chuck on 3.1 seems like it's less serious of a
> > product than 2.2.8. I get the same impression from Daniel's elephant.
>
> Also, Jan's original elephant had a perfect dark brown color to it,
> exactly like a real elephant. The current one looks grey, but I know
> Jan is not done. The final one probably will look very nice.

What I'd like to do is come up with some sort of consciencous(sp?) ... do
we want a cartoon or realism? I don't know myself...I like the crisp
strength of Jan's...it shows a seriousness vs humor, which, IMHO, is
appropriate to an RDBMS.

The problem, as I see things right now, is we are spending too much time
going around in circles on the logo issue, and I'd like to lay things to
rest already :)

My vote is towards Jan's work...as far as "official logo"...there is
nothing wrong with working on more cartoon'd versions from a humor
perspective, but, IMHO, Jan's work displays so nicely as shown by Dmitry's
work with it...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org