Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Andrew McNaughton <andrew(at)squiz(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: Iani Brankov <ian(at)bulinfo(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, database(at)FreeBSD(dot)ORG
Subject: Re: Mysql 321 - Mysql 322 - msql
Date: 1998-11-27 12:54:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Andrew McNaughton wrote:

> It's possibly stronger on features, but it's slower than mysql. It is
> speed he's emphasizing.

I've never actually installed mysql, so can't really compare the
two, but I've been using PostgreSQL for everything I need an RDBMS for
since I first took on the project 3 years ago now (wow, time flies)...each
release has gotten progressively faster, but we've pretty much hit a limit
as far as optimizations are concerned, there probably isn't a *noticeable*
difference between v6.3.2 and v6.4...

We are hoping to have the PREPARE statement put into v6.5, which
should give a performance improvement in "repeatative queries", as the
planning for the query can be done beforehand, taking out a step...

> there was some discussion earlier this year on this list about adding
> indexes suitable for fulltext searching to PostgreSQL. Did anything
> happen in the end? It's the one feature I'd really like to have. I
> suspect it would be an important one to James also.

What do you mean by "fulltext searching"?

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org