Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)usa(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] More PostgreSQL+CORBA
Date: 1998-11-16 19:42:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 09:57:18PM -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Koffice is in alpha stages right now, screen shots look good...I
> > just finally got a clean compile of mico under FreeBSD, so next is to get
> > koffice done up too...
>
> So what software do they use? In particular of course I'd like to know
> whether they use PostgreSQL as DB backend.

None, right now...I could be wrong though, haven't been able to
get it up and running yet :(

> > And, yes, they use an orb...mico, in particular :)
>
> But mico isn't used for the complete KDE system (/or is it?), whereas Gnome
> uses its ORB almost everywhere it seems.

From what Taral has investigatd and come up with, if we stick with
a 2.2 implementation of Corba (mico is only free implementation, that I am
aware of, tha tis fully 2.2 compliant...the rest are all 2.0 still), then
when the other ORBs, when they come up to speed (if?), making it workk
with them should be relatively easy.

According to what Taral has found out so far, 2.2's API is very
rigidly defined, whereas 2.0''s is left up to the implementator...

The end result I'd like to see if for PostgreSQL to be able to be
compiled against whatever implementation the installer wishes, as long as
they are 2.2 compliant...

Quite frankly, I want the *core* to be built around a complete
implementation...if someone is really hot on ORBit, and wants to add in
compatibility code so that it will work with ORBit, so bit it...but I want
the *core* to be 2.2 clean/compliant...and mico is the only ORB out there
at this point in time that will allow that...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org