Re: replacing shmem

From: Tom Samplonius <tom(at)sdf(dot)com>
To: Valter Mazzola <txian(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replacing shmem
Date: 2001-01-06 04:09:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, Valter Mazzola wrote:

> Excuse my ignorance.
> Is there a way to replace the shmem and sem (ipc.c) to use files. In this
> way we can have a sort of a parallel server using GFS.

Besides the slowness of file IO, it also doesn't make sense to have a
shared memory area for all nodes. Not all pages in the shared memory area
are dirty pages, and it make no sense for all nodes to share the same read
cache, when they could have individual read caches. Besides, it is more
scalable.

Either way, an application level cluster employing two-phase commit is
likely going to be a lot more useful. FrontBase
(http://www.frontbase.com) supports this now, and on more platforms than
GFS supports. Besides, GFS is rather alpha right now.

Tom