Re: Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x

From: Tom Samplonius <tom(at)sdf(dot)com>
To: Alfred Perlstein <bright(at)wintelcom(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patches with vacuum fixes available for 7.0.x
Date: 2000-12-08 02:11:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> We recently had a very satisfactory contract completed by
> Vadim.
>
> Basically Vadim has been able to reduce the amount of time
> taken by a vacuum from 10-15 minutes down to under 10 seconds.

What size database was that on?

I looking at moving a 2GB database from MySQL to Postgres. Most of that
data is one table with 12 million records, to which we post about 1.5
million records a month. MySQL's table locking sucks, but as long as are
careful about what reports we run and when, we can avoid the problem.
However, Postgres' vacuum also sucks. I have no idea how long our
particular database would take to vacuum, but I don't think it would be
very nice.

That also leads to the erserver thing. erserver sounds nice, but I sure
wish it was possible to get more details on it. It seems rather
intangible right now. If erserver is payware, where do I buy it?

This is getting a bit off-topic now...

Tom