Re: [SQL] What is the recommended machine configuration?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [SQL] What is the recommended machine configuration?
Date: 1998-08-05 21:35:13
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, G. Anthony Reina wrote:

> We are planning to dedicate a new Pentium II/400 MHz with Red Hat Linux
> exclusively to our Postgres database. The database size is several
> hundred megs. I have been told that the more RAM I have for the machine,
> the faster I'll be able to access the data. Does anyone have any
> recommendations on the amount of RAM that would be optimal? If you had
> to set up the ideal system to run a Postgres database of, let's say, 1
> Gig in size (spread across 10 tables), how would you allocate it in
> terms of processor, OS, RAM, hard disk space, etc.?

I'm going to poke my head up here, as carefully as I can. This is *not*
meant to start a flame war, I'm just bringing up a point that someone else
made a short while ago..

There was a discussion a little while back (probably prompted by me)
concerning Linux vs FreeBSD, and their "intended uses". One of the
comments made by a *Linux* user went to the effect that Linux makes a
great desktop computer (ie. MicroSloth Windows replacement), but if you
want a *server* operating system, go with FreeBSD, as it scales better.

This was a comment from a Linux user...there are several Linux users on
the lists, and Thomas (one of the core developers) is one of them, so it
isn't as if PostgreSQL isn't *extensively* tested under Linux...

One thing in RedHat's favor, though, is that PostgreSQL comes with the
operating system as an installable package...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org