Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Herouth Maoz <herouth(at)oumail(dot)openu(dot)ac(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date: 1998-07-26 18:52:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Herouth Maoz wrote:

> At 4:23 +0300 on 24/7/98, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>

> > I don't believe any offence could be taken by this...my question
> > back is are those features that are currently missing of such an import to
> > you that you'd be willing to pay one of the developers to take the time to
> > focus on what you require?
>
> If I have to pay the authors for doing what I want, I am going to buy
> Informix or Oracle tomorrow... As I said, Postgres's main merit is that
> it's free.

Nobody said anything about *having* to pay for anything. The
question was whether or not ppl feel that a particular unsupported feature
was important enough to them, *right now* to cover the costs of paying a
contract programmer to do it *right now*.

Its a matter of some company saying "I need this feature right
now, and am willing to throw X dollars at it to get it moved to a higher
priority position to get it done" vs. "right now, this feature isn't
scheduale till v6.4 or v6.5 or...etc"...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org