Re: [HACKERS] OK to send e-mail?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: "D'Arcy J(dot)M(dot) Cain" <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
Cc: ocie(at)paracel(dot)com, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)topsystem(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] OK to send e-mail?
Date: 1998-05-13 01:07:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 6 May 1998, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> At home I implement this fully and find it very satisfying. A lot of
> spam gets dropped. I tried to do something similar at vex.net, my
> ISP, but the testing I did suggested that customers just wouldn't
> stand for it.

I have the anti-relay spam filter and the reverse DNS ones
installed on Hub.Org and at work (work has ~5000 mail users, no complaints
after a year being in place)...the only one I haven't added to Hub.Org yet
is the 'spam list', which I do have at work. Next one to move over, I
guess...

> There are a lot of broken sites without proper reverse
> DNS and they just refuse to fix themselves. I suspect if we had to
> verify addresses we would be hearing echoes up and down our password
> file.

I don't find it too bad...complaints from our users are pretty
much zero (even from the professors) as far as email and filtering is
concerned...most ppl are happy because spamming is reduced...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org