Re: [HACKERS] mega-patch--tcl/tk configuration

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih(at)Hamartun(dot)Priv(dot)NO>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] mega-patch--tcl/tk configuration
Date: 1998-03-24 04:54:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23 Mar 1998, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:

> Marc's argument that version numbers have to stay where TCL/TK is
> involved is very important: they are nearly always incompatible with
> themselves in preceding and following versions, making it necessary
> for a typical site to have one complete TCL/TK installation for each
> and every application that uses the damn things. (You may recall that
> I expressed amazement at my discovery that I could use 7.6/4.2 with
> both Scotty and PostgreSQL.)
>
> Anyway, my take on the --with-tcl (and --with-perl) things, relative
> to PostgreSQL 6.3:

Can you take a quick look at the way things are right now and
submit a new patch against the current version for the tcl stuff? I think
this "multiple version" thing with tcl/tk is an inconvience, but a
necessary one based on the way they do do development :(

Other then this, I don't think we have any outstanding issues we
wanted covered...is there? If not, if this can be submitted before 4pm
today, I'll include it...if not, the patch/tar file is created and
*finally* released at that point :)

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org