Re: [QUESTIONS] Does Storage Manager support >2GB tables?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Chris Albertson <chris(at)topdog(dot)pas1(dot)logicon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [QUESTIONS] Does Storage Manager support >2GB tables?
Date: 1998-03-12 02:17:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Redirected to 'the proper list' - pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Chris Albertson wrote:

> Also, is anyone working on storage mangers? I was thinking that
> a raw partition manager would be good to have. Could be faster
> then one that uses the file system. Give it two partitions and
> it could do stripping and gain some real speed.

stripping can be done from the operating system level to give you
that 'boost'...and Oracle, in fact, moved away from the raw partition
level to just using the Unix file system...I believe it would
overcomplicate the backend, and give a negligible boost in performance, if
we had to build a 'low level drive interface'...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org