setting up the user postgres on mac osx

From: Byron Amerson <byronea(at)u(dot)washington(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: setting up the user postgres on mac osx
Date: 2003-10-28 00:45:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have several mac osx specific questions related to postgresql.
background info: an apparently successful build of postgres 7.4beta5 on an
imac with osx 10.3. readline by fink in the standard fink directory /sw

1. What is the best way to set up a new user for use by PostgreSQL? Via
accounts on the preferences panel, netinfo, or at the command line with
niutil? So far I am having marginal luck with netinfo. Basically, where
should this user postgres's home directory be? I assume I should put a start
up script for tcsh here? Should the user postgres have write
permission tothis home directory? Additionally it seems silly to have the
user postgres having the option to log on at start up similar to a regular
user in addition to all of teh default directories like documemnts, music etc
(as when a new user is created in the accounts panel of preferences).

2. When I was attempting to set up my postgres build on 10.2 I had some
difficulty with the logfile. Where is this logfile writtem to? It seemed
that the script couldn't write the logfile due to some permissions issue -
is this a corect assumtion? That is, does the user postgres need to
have permission to write to the directory where the logfile normally is
placed (sorry so vague here, I've yet to try it out just yet on my new
build)

3. Should the user postgres also be in its own group?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help on these questions.

Byron Amerson
MS student
University of Washington
Department of Earth and Space Sciences