.pgpass

From: <ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: .pgpass
Date: 2004-07-01 14:32:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm running Debian unstable, and I keep getting a message from a
cron job that wants to do.maintenance about no password being
supplied.
Password:
psql: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Now, I gather in the past a person had to explicitly put a
password in the cron job, but we are now supposed to use a file
called ~/.pgpass (~ being /var/lib/postgres). Well, I do have
such a file, so I am confused as to why I keep getting this error
message from the cron job. Five colon separated fields
host:port:*:user:password
are in this file. Host is localhost, port is 5432, .... I must
be missing something simple, but I don't see it.

Gord