Out of disk space

From: ghaverla(at)freenet(dot)edmonton(dot)ab(dot)ca
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Out of disk space
Date: 2000-05-28 18:48:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi.
I've been looking around a bit for info, and other than
finding writeups about the vacuum command, not finding
a whole lot.
I've been trying to develop a set of tables using
the perl libpq interface, and I think things are working.
Along the way I've made tables entered some rows, deleted
tables, .... Then yesterday I get an out of disk space
message, and doing df I find that the partition that
postgres is using is full. In my database directory,
I see zillions of xinv* files, some as small as 8192
bytes, some bigger. Some with todays date on them, some
earlier. The earlier ones shouldn't be in use, as I've
changed the table design recently (again). So, I try
the vacuum command thinking it would free up some storage,
and maybe it does a little, but not much. Things are
still basically full.

How do I free up storage? Dump the database, manually
delete all those files, and then reload things?

Thanks.

Matter Realisations http://www.materialisations.com/
Gordon Haverland, B.Sc. M.Eng. President
101 9504 182 St. NW Edmonton, AB, CA T5T 3A7
780/481-8019 ghaverla @ freenet.edmonton.ab.ca