Re: OIDs as keys

From: "Ron Mayer" <ron(at)intervideo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "daniel alvarez" <d-alvarez(at)gmx(dot)de>, "Richard Huxton" <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Subject: Re: OIDs as keys
Date: 2003-02-28 01:51:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tom wrote:

>As I recall, one thing people did not want was for pg_dump to plaster
>WITH OIDS or WITHOUT OIDS on every single CREATE TABLE, as this would
>pretty much destroy any shot at loading PG dumps into any other
>database.

Has there been any talk about adding a flag to pg_dump to explicitly
ask for a standard format? (sql3? sql99? etc?) Ideally for me, such
a flag would produce a "portable" dump file of the subset that did
follow the standard, and also produce a separate log file that could
contain any constructs that could not be standardly dumped.

If such a flag existed, it might be the easiest way to load to other
databases, and people might be less opposed to plastering more postgres
specific stuff to the default format.

If I were going to try to write portable dumps for other databases, I'd
want as few postgresisms in the big file as possible. The separate log file
would make it easier for me to make hand-ported separate files to set up
functions, views, etc.

Yes, I know that would restrict the functionality I could
depend on, including types, sequences, etc. However if I were in an
environment where developers did prototyping on postgres / mssql /etc
and migrated functionality to whatever the company's official
standard system was, I think developers would want to constrain
themselves to standards as much as possible, and this option may help
them do so.

Ron

PS: I'm not sure if I'm volunteering or not, unless someone tells
me how easy/hard it would be. Last thing I tried was harder
than it first appeared.