initdb failed due to missing textutils

From: Meikel Bisping <info(at)mbisping(dot)de>
To: pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: initdb failed due to missing textutils
Date: 2004-04-14 08:12:48
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

I was quite puzzled by the following error

$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"superx".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1... cat:
not found
ok
initializing pg_shadow... FATAL: could not open file
"/usr/local/pgsql/data/glo
bal/1262": No such file or directory

initdb: failed
initdb: removing data directory "/usr/local/pgsql/data"

At some point I realized that cat was missing. I installed the
textutils and then initdb worked.
setup.exe didn't select textutils by default, maybe a dependency
could be set up that if the postgres package is selected, textutils
also get selected.