installation options

From: "Steve Ackerman" <sacker3254(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: installation options
Date: 2000-10-03 06:00:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

First, I am installing postgres 7.02 on i686, 2CPU, 512mb, mandrake linux
7.1.

I have set the max backends switch to 256 during the compile
(--with-maxbackends=256) along with the rest of the chosen parameters but I
am a little puzzled about the buffer size and number. I have read the number
of buffers can be set by the -B switch at startup. Is this necessary, since
I changed the max backends to 256? I guess then buffers should be 512, but
was the default number of buffers changed when I set the max backends to
256?

Also what is the best way to calculate the block size needed?

Steve Ackerman
Web Developer
GoShip.com