ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well

From: Onder Kalaci <onderk(at)microsoft(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ALTER INDEX .. RENAME allows to rename tables/views as well
Date: 2021-10-04 10:23:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

I realized a subtle behavior with ALTER INDEX .. RENAME. It seems like a bug to me, please see the steps below.

Test 1: Rename table via RENAME .. INDEX

CREATE TABLE test_table (a int);
SELECT 'test_table'::regclass::oid;
oid
-------
34470
(1 row)
-- rename table using ALTER INDEX ..
ALTER INDEX test_table RENAME TO test_table_2;

-- see that table is rename
SELECT 34470::regclass;
regclass
--------------
test_table_2
(1 row)

Test 2: Rename view via RENAME .. INDEX
CREATE VIEW test_view AS SELECT * FROM pg_class;
SELECT 'test_view'::regclass::oid;
oid
-------
34473
(1 row)

ALTER INDEX test_view RENAME TO test_view_2;
ELECT 34473::regclass;
regclass
test_view_2
(1 row)

It seems like an oversight in ExecRenameStmt(), and probably applies to sequences, mat. views and foreign tables as well.

I can reproduce this on both 13.2 and 14.0. Though haven’t checked earlier versions.

Thanks,
Onder