Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI

From: <carlosreimer(at)terra(dot)com(dot)br>
To: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Initial database loading and IDE x SCSI
Date: 2006-06-02 18:25:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I would like to know if my supposition is right.

Considering an environment with only one hard disk attached to a server, an
initial loading of the database probably is much faster using an IDE/ATA
interface with write-back on than using an SCSI interface. That´s because of
the SCSI command interface overhead.

Then main advantage of SCSI interfaces, the multiuser environment is lost in
this scenery.

Am I right? Am I missing something here?

Even if I´m right, is something that could be done too improove SCSI loading
performance in this scenery?

Thanks in advance!

Reimer