psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes

From: Alastair McKinley <a(dot)mckinley(at)analyticsengines(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: psql 15beta1 does not print notices on the console until transaction completes
Date: 2022-05-29 20:11:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Hi all,

I notice this change in behaviour with psql in 15beta1 when testing an existing codebase.

I didn't see any mention of this change in the release notes and it surprised me.

Using this test function:

    create or replace function test_notice() returns void as
    $$
    begin
        raise notice 'hello';
        perform pg_sleep(10);
    end; $$ language plpgsql;

In psql 15beta1, the "hello" message only appears on the console when the transaction completes.

in psql 14.3, it appears immediately as I would have expected.

Is there a way to change psql behaviour to display notices immediately as in versions < 15?

Best regards,

Alastair