RE: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)

From: Phil Florent <philflorent(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Remove AIX Support (was: Re: Relation bulk write facility)
Date: 2024-02-29 19:12:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
Historically many public hospitals I work for had IBM Power hardware.
The SMT8 (8 threads/cores) capabilities of Power CPU are useful to lower Oracle licence & support cost. We migrate to PostgreSQL and it runs very well on Power, especially since the (relatively) recent parallel executions features of the RDBMS match very well the CPU capabilities.
We chose to run PostgreSQL on Debian/Power (Little Endian) since ppc64le is an official Debian port. No AIX then. Only problem is that we still need to access Oracle databases and it can be useful to read directly with oracle_fdw but this tool needs an instant client and it's not open source of course. Oracle provides a binary but they don't provide patches for Debian/Power Little Endian (strange situation...) Just to say that of course we chose Linux for PostgreSQL but sometimes things are not so easy... We could have chosen AIX and we still have a ???? about interoperability.
Best regards,
Phil