Re: BDR-project

From: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BDR-project
Date: 2014-01-08 18:55:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

På onsdag 08. januar 2014 kl. 18:57:52, skrev Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com
<mailto:simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>>: On 25 December 2013 12:01, Andreas Joseph
Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no> wrote:

> Ref:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BDR_Project
>
> Is implementing main BDR features into core Postgres a probable objective to
> version 9.4?

I've not updated hackers recently on this point, so thanks for asking
the question. This was discussed in the ending keynote of the PG
Europe conference, but I appreciate that's not the same thing as
saying it here.

The plan is

* submit the core logical replication technology for 9.4
* submit online upgrade as a feature for 9.5, allowing upgrades from 9.4+
* submit full BDR features for 9.6

BDR code will be released as a separate open source project until/if
core accepts/modifies that. There's lots of work and discussion to be
had yet, so the above plan is a reasonable schedule for achieving
change allowing input from all. Design to full feature submission
would be 4.5 years, plus we expect the features to mature/extend after
that, so there's no rush, just steady movement.

No attempts to publicise that as yet, but if all goes well we expect
to do that once 9.4 is released.   Thanks for the update!   --
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak(at)officenet(dot)no>      mob: +47 909 56 963
Senior Software Developer / CTO - OfficeNet AS - http://www.officenet.no
Public key: http://home.officenet.no/~andreak/public_key.asc