RE: Forget close an open relation in ReorderBufferProcessTXN()

From: "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Amit Kapila' <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Marco Nenciarini <marco(dot)nenciarini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: RE: Forget close an open relation in ReorderBufferProcessTXN()
Date: 2021-05-19 02:58:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, May 19, 2021 11:33 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 19, 2021 at 7:59 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 5:29 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:

> deadlock hazards.

> lock taken by TRUNCATE command. What I have in mind is an example
> below.

> user_catalog_table.
> user_catalog_table.
> > > >

> > > If you skip decoding of truncate then we won't invoke plugin API so
> > > step 5 will be skipped.
> > >

> > I think you were right here even if skip step-4, the plugin might take
> > a lock on user_catalog_table for something else.
Yes, we can't know the exact place where the user wants to use the feature
of user_catalog_table. Even if we imagine that the user skips
the truncate decoding (I imagined continuing and skipping a case in
REORDER_BUFFER_CHANGE_TRUNCATE of pgoutput),
it's possible that the user accesses it somewhere else for different purpose with lock.

> I am not sure but I
> > think we should prohibit truncate on user_catalog_tables as we
> > prohibit truncate on system catalog tables (see below [1]) if we want
> > plugin to lock them, otherwise, as you said it might lead to deadlock.
> > For the matter, I think we should once check all other operations
> > where we can take an exclusive lock on [user]_catalog_table, say
> > Cluster command, and compare the behavior of same on system catalog
> > tables.
> >
> > [1]
> > postgres=# truncate pg_class;
> > ERROR: permission denied: "pg_class" is a system catalog postgres=#
> > cluster pg_class;
> > ERROR: there is no previously clustered index for table "pg_class"
> >

> Please ignore the cluster command as we need to use 'using index' with that
> command to make it successful. I just want to show the truncate command
> behavior for which you have asked the question.
Thank you so much for clarifying the direction.
I agree with the changing the TRUNCATE side.
I'll make a patch based on this.

Best Regards,
Takamichi Osumi