RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?

From: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Fabien COELHO' <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: pgbench: option delaying queries till connections establishment?
Date: 2020-11-06 02:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Fabien,

> Indeed. I scanned the file but did not find other places that needed
> updating.

> Yes.

> Not sure either. I'm not for having too many braces anyway, so I removed
> them.

I checked your fixes and I think it's OK.
Finally, please move the doc fixes to patch B in order to separate patches
completely.

> Indeed. I took your next patch with an added explanation. I'm unclear
> whether proceeding makes much sense though, that is some thread would run
> the test and other would have aborted. Hmmm.

Your comment looks good, thanks.
In the previous version pgbench starts benchmarking even if some connections fail.
And users can notice the connection failure by stderr output.
Hence the current specification may be enough.
If you agree, please remove the following lines:

```
+ * It is unclear whether it is worth doing anything rather than
+ * coldly exiting with an error message.
```

> ISTM that there is another patch in the queue which needs barriers to
> delay some initialization so as to fix a corner case bug, in which case
> the behavior would be mandatory. The current submission could add an
> option to skip the barrier synchronization, but I'm not enthousiastic to
> add an option and remove it shortly later.

Could you tell me which patch you mention? Basically I agree what you say,
but I want to check it.

Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED