RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations

From: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Sutou Kouhei' <kou(at)clear-code(dot)com>, "zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com" <zhjwpku(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com" <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com" <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Make COPY format extendable: Extract COPY TO format implementations
Date: 2023-12-12 02:31:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear Sutou-san, Junwang,

Sorry for the delay reply.

> Can we discuss how to proceed this improvement?
>
> There are 2 approaches for it:
>
> 1. Do the followings concurrently:
> a. Implementing small changes that got a consensus and
> merge them step-by-step
> (e.g. We got a consensus that we need to extract the
> current format related routines.)
> b. Discuss design
>
> (v1-v3 patches use this approach.)
>
> 2. Implement one (large) complete patch set with design
> discussion and merge it
>
> (v4- patches use this approach.)
>
> Which approach is preferred? (Or should we choose another
> approach?)
>
> I thought that 1. is preferred because it will reduce review
> cost. So I chose 1.

I'm ok to use approach 1, but could you please divide a large patch? E.g.,

0001. defines an infrastructure for copy-API
0002. adjusts current codes to use APIs
0003. adds a test module in src/test/modules or contrib.

This approach helps reviewers to see patches deeper. Separated patches can be
combined when they are close to committable.

Best Regards,
Hayato Kuroda
FUJITSU LIMITED