WIP: Aggregation push-down - take2

From: "Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp" <Fujii(dot)Yuki(at)df(dot)MitsubishiElectric(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "david(at)pgmasters(dot)net" <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, "ah(at)cybertec(dot)at" <ah(at)cybertec(dot)at>, "tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com" <zhihui(dot)fan1213(at)gmail(dot)com>, "legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com" <legrand_legrand(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "daniel(at)yesql(dot)se" <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Subject: WIP: Aggregation push-down - take2
Date: 2022-04-15 07:33:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone.

I develop postgresql's extension such as fdw in my work.
I'm interested in using postgresql for OLAP.
After [1] having been withdrawn, I reviewed [1].
I think that this patch is realy useful when using OLAP queries.
Furthermore, I think it would be more useful if this patch works on a foreign table.
So, I would like to ask you a question on this patch in this new thread.

I changed this patch a little and confirmed that my idea is true.
The followings are things I found and differences of between my prototype and this patch.
1. Things I found
I execute a query which contain join of postgres_fdw's foreign table and a table and aggregation of the join result.
In my setting, my prototype reduce this query's response by 93%.
2. Differences between my prototype and this patch
(1) Pushdown aggregation of foeign table if FDW pushdown partial aggregation
(2) postgres_fdw pushdowns some partial aggregations
I attached my prototype source code and content of my experiment.
I want to resume development of this patch if there is some possibility of accept of this patch's function.
I took a contact to Mr.Houska on resuming development of this patch.
As a result, Mr.Houska advised for me that I ask in pgsql-hackers whether any reviewers / committers are
interested to work on the patch.
Is anyone interested in my work?

Sincerely yours.
Yuuki Fujii

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/32/

--
Yuuki Fujii
Information Technology R&D Center Mitsubishi Electric Corporation

Attachment Content-Type Size
v17-0004-pushdown-aggregation-foreign-table.patch application/octet-stream 26.9 KB
readme.txt text/plain 1.8 KB