RE: Rework LogicalOutputPluginWriterUpdateProgress

From: "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Rework LogicalOutputPluginWriterUpdateProgress
Date: 2023-03-10 09:33:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 8, 2023 19:06 PM Kuroda, Hayato/黒田 隼人 <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> Dear Wang,

Thanks for your testing and comments.

> ---
> ```
> +/*
> + * Update progress tracking and send keep alive (if required).
> + */
> +static void
> +UpdateProgressAndKeepalive(LogicalDecodingContext *ctx, bool finished_xact)
> ```
>
> Can we add atop the UpdateProgressAndKeepalive()? Currently the developers
> who
> create output plugins must call OutputPluginUpdateProgress(), but from now the
> function is not only renamed but does not have nessesary to call from plugin
> (of cource we do not restrict to call it). I think it must be clarified for them.

Make sense.
Added some comments atop this function.

> ---
> ReorderBufferUpdateProgressTxnCB must be removed from typedefs.list.

Removed.

> ---
> Do we have to write a document for the breakage somewhere? I think we do not
> have
> to add appendix-obsolete-* file because we did not have any links for that, but
> we can add a warning in "Functions for Producing Output" subsection if needed.

Since we've moved the feature (update progress and send keepalive) from the
output plugin into the infrastructure, the output plugin is no longer
responsible for maintaining this feature anymore. Also, I think output plugin
developers only need to remove the call to the old function
OutputPluginUpdateProgress if they get compile errors related to this
modification. So, it seems to me that we don't need to add relevant
modifications in pg-doc.

Regards,
Wang wei