RE: logical replication empty transactions

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <osumi(dot)takamichi(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Rahila Syed <rahila(dot)syed(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: RE: logical replication empty transactions
Date: 2022-03-25 07:20:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday, March 25, 2022 8:31 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thursday, March 24, 2022 11:19 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, March 22, 2022 7:50 PM Amit Kapila
> <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
> > wrote:

> > > The test change looks good to me. I think additionally we can verify
> > > that the record is not reflected in the subscriber table. Apart from
> > > that, I had made minor changes mostly in the comments in the attached
> > > patch. If those look okay to you, please include those in the next version.
> >
> > Thanks, the changes look good to me, I merged the diff patch.
> >
> > Attach the new version patch which include the following changes:
> >
> > - Fix a typo
> > - Change the requestreply flag of the newly added WalSndKeepalive to false,
> > because the subscriber can judge whether it's necessary to post a reply
> > based
> > on the received LSN.
> > - Add a testcase to make sure there is no data in subscriber side when the
> > transaction is skipped.
> > - Change the name of flag skipped_empty_xact to skipped_xact which seems
> > more
> > understandable.
> > - Merge Amit's suggested changes.
> >

> I did some more review for the newly added keepalive message and confirmed
> that it's necessary to send this in sync mode.

Since commit 75b1521 added decoding of sequence to logical
replication, this patch needs to have send begin message in
pgoutput_sequence if necessary.

Attach the new version patch with this change.

Best regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v30-0001-Skip-empty-transactions-for-logical-replication.patch application/octet-stream 20.2 KB