RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply

From: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date: 2023-01-23 08:05:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday, January 23, 2023 11:17 AM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 11:48 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >

> > > Yet another way is to use the existing parameter logical_decode_mode
> > > [1]. If the value of logical_decoding_mode is 'immediate', then we
> > > can immediately switch to partial serialize mode. This will
> > > eliminate the dependency on timing. The one argument against using
> > > this is that it won't be as clear as a separate parameter like
> > > 'stream_serialize_threshold' proposed by the patch but OTOH we
> > > already have a few parameters that serve a different purpose when
> > > used on the subscriber. For example, 'max_replication_slots' is used
> > > to define the maximum number of replication slots on the publisher
> > > and the maximum number of origins on subscribers. Similarly,
> > > wal_retrieve_retry_interval' is used for different purposes on
> > > subscriber and standby nodes.
> >
> > Using the existing parameter makes sense to me. But if we use
> > logical_decoding_mode also on the subscriber, as Shveta Malik also
> > suggested, probably it's better to rename it so as not to confuse. For
> > example, logical_replication_mode or something.
> >

> +1. Among the options discussed, this sounds better.

OK, here is patch set which does the same.
The first patch set only renames the GUC name, and the second patch uses
the GUC to test the partial serialization.

Best Regards,
Hou zj

Attachment Content-Type Size
v86-0002-Extend-the-logical_replication_mode-to-test-the-stre.patch application/octet-stream 11.2 KB
v86-0001-Rename-logical_decoding_mode-to-logical_replication_.patch application/octet-stream 9.5 KB