RE: Race condition in FetchTableStates() breaks synchronization of subscription tables

From: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Lakhin <exclusion(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2024-04-16 06:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wednesday, March 13, 2024 11:49 AM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 at 09:34, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, Mar 12, 2024 at 2:59 PM vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Thanks, I have created the following Commitfest entry for this:
> >> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/47/4816/
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Vignesh
> >

> > Thanks for the patch, I have verified that the fix works well by following the
> steps mentioned to reproduce the problem.
> > Reviewing the patch, it seems good and is well documented. Just one minor
> comment I had was probably to change the name of the variable
> table_states_valid to table_states_validity. The current name made sense when
> it was a bool, but now that it is a tri-state enum, it doesn't fit well.
>
> Thanks for reviewing the patch, the attached v6 patch has the changes for the
> same.

FYI, I noticed that there is one open item on
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_17_Open_Items which is related to
the fix in this thread.

--
Intermittent failures in 040_standby_failover_slots_sync test
Possible solution in this thread: Race condition in FetchTableStates

AFAICS, the bug discussed here is not a new issue on
PG17, so I am thinking to move the item to the "Older bugs affecting stable
branches" section if no objections.

Best Regards,
Hou zj