Starting postgresql server in RedHat 8.0

From: Rebecca(dot)R(dot)Hepper(at)seagate(dot)com
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Starting postgresql server in RedHat 8.0
Date: 2003-01-24 15:10:31
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I just installed RedHat 8.0 on a system. I receive a failure status when I
try to start the postrgresql server by doing the following command as root:

/etc/init.d/postgresql start

It is failing because there is no PG_VERSION file at /var/lib/pgsql/data.
In the data directory, there is only one file: pg_hba.conf.

What can't I start the postgresql server? I was able to start the server
this way in RedHat 7.1.

Thanks!
Rebecca