Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-19 21:32:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Okay, since the standard explicitly says that whether 'a' = 'a ' is a
well-defined characteristic of a character datatype (NO PAD) I'm happy with
both Oracle and PostgreSQL. If you want a certain behavior, choose your
datatypes wisely. Cool. I didn't in a recent port. Uncool. I went from
CHAR() in Interbase to VARCHAR2() in Oracle. I shot myself in the foot,
and then complained about it before understanding the standard. I'm now
better educated, thanks to all.

But, I still need to research the conditions under which Oracle converts ''
(zero length string) and ' ' (all blank string) to NULL. Then, before
complaining about it, I'll read the standard again. Since everybody
complains about it, I can't believe it is standard, but I have (very
recently) been wrong before.

Cheers,

Rick

Richard D Levine/US/Raytheon wrote on 10/19/2005 04:07:03 PM:

> This is the salient sentence from the standard (that I've never
> personnally thought much about before now).
>
> "If CS has the NO PAD characteristic, then the pad character is an
> implementation-dependent character different from any character in the
> character set of X and Y that collates less than any string under CS."
>
> It boils down to saying "NO PAD strings of different length are
> never equal". So the correctness of any DB depends on whether the
> type in question has the NO PAD characteristic. So, is varchar NO
> PAD? That's the real question.
>
> Rick
>
> "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> wrote on 10/19/2005 03:57:26 PM:
>
> > create table fooa (col1 varchar(30))
> > go
> > create table bara (col1 varchar(300))
> > go
> > insert into fooa values ('Danniel ')
> > go
> > insert into bara values ('Danniel ')
> > go
> > select * from fooa,bara where fooa.col1=bara.col1
> > go
> >
> > Returns:
> > Danniel Danniel
> >
> > I think that the issue is:
> > Does PostgreSQL use something other than <space> as the pad character?
> > If so, what character is that (and why choose it over <space>)?
> > If not, then PostgreSQL is clearly returning the wrong results.

SQL