Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: PgSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Oracle buys Innobase
Date: 2005-10-12 17:30:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org wrote on 10/11/2005 09:59:16 PM:

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> > And look at it, all Oracle would have to do is to be so open source
> > friendly that they make InnoDB GPL only. Can you imagine the confusion
> > in the MySQL fan club if Oracle releases the next GPL version of InnoDB

> > and MySQL AB announces that they ripped out InnoDB support and favor
> > something with half the feature set instead?
>
> ROTFL ... yes, you would have to give Oracle ten points out of ten for
> style, if they did it that way.

LOL, a round for the judges. Seriously, all they need to do is drop their
caveat to GPL and sell subscriptions instead of licenses. They control all
of the source, not taking copyrighted stuff from outside authors. Look but
do not touch open source. You want something? Buy a subscription. They
are convincing people to buy licenses, not much of a stretch to go to
subscriptions. That is a winning scenario for everyone, except maybe
Oracle.

Cheers,

Rick