How to optimize Postgres Database

From: Hemant Pandey <hemant(dot)pandey(at)flextronicssoftware(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to optimize Postgres Database
Date: 2005-08-30 04:15:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi All,
I am running an application, which connects to the postgres
database at initialization time and perform the database operations like
Select/Update.
Database queries are very simple.
On analyzing my application through Quantifier( Performance analyzing
tool), I found the most of the time my application is waiting on recv,
waiting for Database response.
When i run Vacuum on perticular tables, i observed that performance
improoves drastically.

So please tell me how can i improve database performance through
configuration parameters. I had tried to change parameters in
postgresql.conf file but of no avail.
Now i am trying to Auto Vacuum, but don't know how to run Auto Vacuum.

Please help me to solve these problems.

Thanks in advance.
Hemant

*********************** FSS-Unclassified ***********************
"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged or
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received
this message in error, please notify the originator immediately.
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly prohibited from using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message. FSS accepts no responsibility for
loss or damage arising from the use of the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."