Re: how do I add postgis to an existing postgresql install?

From: Mark Wimer <mwimer(at)usgs(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how do I add postgis to an existing postgresql install?
Date: 2011-08-11 19:16:36
Lists: pgsql-novice

Lillie,

When postGIS installs, it puts a template database into your PG
installation: "template_postgis". I don't know whether it always shows up
in your database list by default, but if you go to add a new database to
PostgreSQL, and if template_postgis isn't there, then PostGIS isn't
installed.

Once you download and install PostGIS from teh site Brent mentioned,
that's how the functionality is added to a database most easily; by
starting a database with that template; all the postGIS functions and a
couple of tables will then be present in the public schema of the
database. This does not add PostGIS functionality directly to existing
databases; that's a different process.

hth,
Mark