2PC support

From: Michael(dot)Giroux(at)objectweb(dot)org
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 2PC support
Date: 2004-10-20 15:40:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,
I've read a few of the recent posts about 2-phase-commit support. I
noticed some discussion related to persisting the state of in-doubt
transactions, and thought you might be able to take advantage of work that
has been going on in the area of transaction logs.

I'm working on a project (howl.objectweb.org) to implement a journal
designed specifically to support transaction managers 2PC protocol. The
project was concieved during a meeting between ObjectWeb and Apache
Geronimo developers last year at ApacheCon 2003. The journal is currently
used by the Apache Geronimo TM, Codehaus ActiveMQ, and ObjectWeb JOTM
projects.

Although the main objective is to support TM 2PC protocol, it could be
used as a database before-image journal as well. The code is BSD
licensed. More at http://howl.objectweb.org.

Also, with respect to the requirements for the 2PC protocol, there is an
excellent discussion by Mike Spille. Mike wrote a series of articles
titled "XA Exposed". You can review the articles at
http://www.theserverside.com. Search for "xa exposed".

If any of you will be at ApacheCon 2004 next month, I'm giving a paper on
the HOWL journal. I'll be happy to talk with you there.

Michael Giroux, objectweb.org