Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB

From: gene(dot)poole(at)macys(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Move From Oracle DB to PostgreSQL DB
Date: 2011-03-14 18:43:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Just a little background:

We're running Red Hat Satellite Server and it's used to provision our
servers (both physical and virtual). It works great and we have no issues
with it *except* It will only provision Red Hat.

Why this question:

We've been directed by our management to examine the use of other Linux
distributions, like SUSE and Oracle Enterprise Linux.

The 'real' questions:

Is there a recent tutorial, white paper, how to on move/migrate from
Oracle to PostgreSQL? I can get the Oracle schema DDL by pointing our
Data Modeling software at the Red Hat Satellite server and extracting the
DDL. It will take that Oracle DDL and convert it to PostgreSQL, but only
version 8.x, and we were planning on looking at the open source PostgreSQL
8. Are the differences between versions that great?

Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gene Poole