Re: BUG #6494: Listening to * fails for IP V6

From: Curd Reinert <Curd(dot)Reinert(at)ppi(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-bugs-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6494: Listening to * fails for IP V6
Date: 2012-03-01 11:00:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org schrieb am 29.02.2012 17:02:56:
> Curd Reinert <Curd(dot)Reinert(at)ppi(dot)de> writes:
> > The trouble is that under AIX, once you have bound an IP V4 socket to
> > port, it seems you can't bind a IP V6 socket to the same port. The
other
> > way round works. And AIX seems to return addrinfo with IP V4 addresses
in
> > front.
> Seems like that is a bug to file with IBM.
I agree. I will try to narrow it down to a simple example and send it to
IBM.

> code uglification,
I agree with that one, too.

> Can you work around this with a suitable setting of listen_addresses?
> That is, explicitly specify the V6 and then V4 addresses there?
Not really. Postgres is runnning at our customers sites, we don't know how
there networks are configured, and we don't know if IP addresses may
change. All we could do is describe the problem as a known bug when using
AIX, IPV6 and postgres together and explain the workaround.

Many thanks,

Curd