Re: Number Sequence Query

From: "Devinder K Rajput" <Devinder(dot)Rajput(at)ipaper(dot)com>
To: maximum(at)shreve(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-novice-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Number Sequence Query
Date: 2002-10-09 21:38:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

What you could do is create another table (t_range) that has one column
containing numbers from 020000 to 029999. Then run the query

select num
from t_range
where num not in (select case_num from t_case_num where case_num like
'num%');

what the above does is that it takes each entry from the t_range table and
checks if it exists in the t_case_num table. The like clause is used to
take care of cases like "02002201", where there are extra numbers. If
there are no extra numbers, you could use "where case_num=num". The issues
with this method is that you have to create an extra table and also it will
give all numbers don't exist in the t_case_num; so if you table entries
ended at 020024, it will give you numbers between 020025 and 029999.
probably not what you want. to fix the latter, you would have recreate the
t_range table with the last value being the largest case_num. That's
pretty painful...scratch that solution...so do it in programming by writing
a perl script or something.

regards,

Devinder Rajput
Stores Division Corporate Offices
Chicago, IL
(773) 442-6474

"John Nix"
<maximum(at)shreve(dot)net> To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent by: cc:
pgsql-novice-owner(at)post Subject: [NOVICE] Number Sequence Query
gresql.org

10/09/2002 04:14 PM

I have a field with case numbers in it that I need to find out what
numbers are left out in the sequence. The numbers can be formatted fairly
strangely, so let me give you an example:

case_num
----------
020018
020020
020021
02002201
020024

I'm only really looking at the numbers that start with 02 and the number
sequence is the 4 numbers right after the 02. As you can see by my
example, 020023 is missing. I would like to be able to run a query to
see all the missing numbers in sequence. I'm not even sure where to start
looking for information. I did searches from Google and in the groups
(which normally answers my questions), but I can't find anything. Can
someone help me with this? Thanks...

John

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster