pg_hba.conf issue

From: Ritu Khetan <RKhetan(at)crisil(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_hba.conf issue
Date: 2007-07-02 13:10:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi friends,

We have a product with Postgres 8.1 integrated for installations on
Windows. The standard pg_hba.conf configuration going in the package is

# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD

# IPv4 local connections:
host all all 127.0.0.1/32 trust
# IPv6 local connections:
#host all all ::1/128 trust
#host all all 172.21.42.121/24 trust
host all all 172.21.51.56/24 trust

While this works at most of the locations, we have a peculiar error coming
up at 2-3 locations. The error reads:

no pg_hba.conf entry for host "::1" , user "crisil" , database "crisil" ,
SSL off "

Can someone give any clue on why could this be coming up? We do not intend
to use SSL either. Our analysis shows this problem gets resolved if the
entry for ::1/128 is uncommented but we would like to understand in which
scenario is this entry needed.

Regards,
Ritu
Disclaimer :
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message (including any attachments) from your system without using, transmitting or storing it. Please also immediately inform the sender. E-mails are not secure and may suffer from errors, viruses, unauthorized interceptions / amendments. CRISIL and its subsidiaries do not accept any liability for loss or damage caused by this e-mail and may monitor e-mail traffic.