pg_ [dump & restore] invalid archive problem

From: "John-Paul Delaney" <John-Paul(dot)Delaney(at)wfp(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_ [dump & restore] invalid archive problem
Date: 2004-11-04 10:28:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello List... I'd like to move a db containing large objects from one db to
another.
Using the command syntax directly from man pg_dump:

pg_dump -Ft -b mydb > mydb.tar

pg_restore -d mydb mydb.tar

I invariably (tried various attempts) get the following error:
"pg_restore: [archiver] input file does not appear to be a valid archive"

Any help much appreciated.
/j-p.