Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org, "GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com" <GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Storing database in WORM devices
Date: 2005-05-11 20:31:31
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Tom Lane suggested a vacuum freeze (? or something like that) for archival
read only data. I got the impression the template databases are freeze
dried for freshness (good to the last bit?) That feature might help as
well in the transition from read-write to read-only.

Rick

Alex Turner
<armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com
Sent by: "GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com"
pgsql-admin-owner <GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com>
@postgresql.org cc
doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org,
pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,
05/11/2005 03:02 pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
PM Subject
Re: [ADMIN] [GENERAL] Storing
database in WORM devices
Please respond to
Alex Turner
<armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com

If you simply put your database tables in their own tablespace, then
move that tablespace to a WORM device, I can't see why that wouldn't
work as long as you keep all the system tables etc.. on the regular RW
tablespace

Alex Turner
netEconomist

On 5/11/05, GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com <GGoshen(at)axsone(dot)com> wrote:
> I would like to clarify something.
> I intend to create the database on a re-writable device (not WORM). At
some point, when I no longer want to add/modify the database, I plan to
copy it to the WORM device. Then I would like to be able to access the
database on the WORM device for reading purposes only.

> I think that the pg_listener catalog is being written for any user
connection. I am not sure whether I could store the system catalogs
separated from the application table spaces.

Once
> > > Read Many). I would like to access this database directly from the
WORM

> > TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if
your
> > joining column's datatypes do not match

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend