pgAdmin III v1.8.0 - Ctl-V in Edit window

From: Mike(dot)Blackwell(at)rrd(dot)com
To: pgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pgAdmin III v1.8.0 - Ctl-V in Edit window
Date: 2007-10-23 17:00:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgadmin-support pgsql-announce

Windows XP SP2
pgAdmin dated 19 Oct 2007
various 8.x.x versions of PostgreSQL
-------

The overloading of Ctl-V in the Edit window has been causing problems for
me. Normally I use it while editing a field to paste a value. However,
if the field is not open for editing (hasn't been clicked on twice), Ctl-V
brings up a 'Paste Data' dialog asking about using the clipboard data for
the record's serial columns. This wouldn't necessarliy be a problem,
but...

Sometimes when I click No, it will leave the cursor just sitting on the
'new record' entry line (the one with the '*'). No problem. Other times
it will leave the cursor in the serial column, _in edit mode_, and brings
up a message box with the text:

-----------
An error has occured:

ERROR: Invalid input syntax for integer: "
"
------------

This seems to occur when the text in the copy buffer contained multiple
lines (pasting a small Perl script into a text field).

At this point, none of the fields appears to have text in it, but trying
to move off the (apparently) blank row brings up again the same message,
and does not allow moving off the row. There seems to be no way to
proceed other than closing the window, which DOES bring up the "Unsaved
Row" dialog box. Attempting to delete the new row with DEL or the popup
menu removes the error condition, but leaves the cursor stuck on that row.

I think a Cancel option on the 'Paste Data' dialog would be nice. Or
maybe a way to abandon the (apparently) partially entered row.