Re: BUG #4866: ECPG and BYTEA

From: Richard D Levine <Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ken J Lehto <Ken_J_Lehto(at)raytheon(dot)com>, Gary G Scheitlin <Gary_G_Scheitlin(at)raytheon(dot)com>, Loretta J Rice <Loretta_J_Rice(at)raytheon(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #4866: ECPG and BYTEA
Date: 2009-06-23 18:09:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

This is how Oracle does it. The equivalent data type to BYTEA in Oracle
is RAW. You can use a host variable to specify the length as well.

EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
unsigned char *bytea_hostvar;
EXEC SQL VAR bytea_hostvar IS RAW(1024);
EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;

ANSI SQL 92 specifies the BIT [VARYING] type, but no mention of a byte
data type.

ANSI SQL 92, section 11.28, specifies a <character set definition> CREATE
CHARACTER SET....

You might be able to shoehorn raw bytes in with that, but it wouldn't be
very intuitive, to say the least. It doesn't solve the basic problem of
conveying a buffer size to the embedded language parser for a data type
without a length specified in the schema.

I ended up using Postgres' BIT data type, which works just fine, but
really expands the data passed between client and server.