Re: Users can see each others' databases?

From: Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: Cheetah <fastcat(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgadmin-support-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Users can see each others' databases?
Date: 2004-09-23 13:27:03
Lists: pgadmin-support

A crummy but workable solution is to have each user install and run their
own instance of PostgreSQL. On the other hand, learning to install and
configure a major database is probably a useful learning experience.
--Rick

Andreas Pflug
<pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)d To: Cheetah <fastcat(at)gmail(dot)com>
e> cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent by: Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] Users can see each others' databases?
pgadmin-support-owner(at)pos
tgresql.org

09/22/2004 02:59 AM

Cheetah wrote:

> I suspect that in order to not be able to see other users' tables, you
> must revoke permissions on the pg_catalog schema (and for the
> enterprising users the information_schema schema too I suspect), which
> is where all the views and whatnot that pgadmin queries to list tables
> live. If this is for a course, I'd bet on students being enterprising
> when trying to circumvent access restrictions :)

Cheetah is completely right. Access restrictions on schema information
come up from time to time, without a viable proposal how to implement
it. Won't happen in the near future, and isn't supposed to be critical.

Regards,
Andreas

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend