Re: collation

From: Steve_Miller(at)sil(dot)org
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Steve_Miller(at)sil(dot)org
Subject: Re: collation
Date: 2003-01-28 18:03:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

Giles,

Thanks for the response.

>> I'm going to be dealing with collations and locales not provided by
anyone.
>> It sounds like I can't create my own collations. Is that true? If so,
what
>> do I have to do to create my own locales?
>
>Yes -- but the advantage is, once you have done so your OS tools can
>use the locales as well, not just PostgreSQL.
>
>I don't recall your mentioning what operating system you are using,
>but I suspect you want to check out localedef(1). If that command
>isn't known to your OS try checking the "SEE ALSO" section of the
>setlocale(3) manual page for references.

We are working on a port from Windows and MS SQL Server to Linux.
Postgresql is the first database we're trying. If the Linux port works well
enough, we may even replace SQL Server with Postgresql in Windows someday.

The idea that the locale will be available to the OS is quite intriguing.
I'm assuming you're talking about Linux. We're spending months of time
finding a workaround for custom locales in Windows.

>It's over a decade since I built a locale so I won't offer further
>advice, except to say that it wasn't especially hard even that long
>ago. :-)

That's very encouraging.

Steve Miller